What is Osteoarthritis?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is a degenerative joint disorder. It is a common type of arthritis where nearly 15 million patients are affected by this condition every year in India. The main reason for OA is wear and tear of the articular cartilage and ligament, loss of synovial fluid or loss of regenerative capacity of chondrocytes. The articular cartilage is especially vulnerable to damage. Normal load-bearing capacity and biomechanical properties of thinning cartilage are severely compromised during the course of disease progression. Common joints that are affected by Osteoarthritis are Knee, Hip, Hand Joints, Neck etc.
What Causes Osteoarthritis?
Several factors lead to the onset of OA, some of which are:
Ageing causes wear and tear of the cartilages. Women who are above the age of 55 are at a higher risk of getting OA. Approximately 30% of the people who are above the age of 65 succumb to osteoarthritis, of which nearly 80% have limitations in movement and 25% cannot perform daily activities leading to poor quality of life.
Sports injury from football, tennis, running etc., can cause damage to the cartilages and joints and an in-ability to repair the damaged cartilage tissue can lead to OA.
Rheumatoid Arthritis can develop into osteoarthritis condition.
Poor Lifestyle, Obesity and Vitamin D deficiency can play a major role in the development of Osteoarthritis conditions.
In some cases, it can also be a hereditary condition.
Osteoarthritis symptoms and signs
Osteoarthritis is a progressive joint disease, The most common symptoms of osteoarthritis are:
- Mild swelling around a joint.
- Joints may hurt after or during movement.
- Patients may feel stiffness of the affected joints in the morning.
- Abnormal sensations
Commonly Treated Osteoarthritis Conditions Through Stem Cell Applications:
Common symptoms related to the following conditions possibly treated by mesenchymal stem cells for osteoarthritis as well as bone-related injuries:
- Meniscus Tears:-Torn meniscus is a most common type of knee injury. A Meniscal tear is caused by forceful twisting while it is bent or sometime if you give full pressure on knee without any support.
- Ligament Injuries:- Ligaments link knee bones to other bones in and surrounding joints. There are four separate type of ligaments around the knee joint like anterior cruciate ligament, medial collateral ligament, posterior cruciate ligament and lateral collateral ligament.
- Cartilage Disorders.
- Avascular Necrosis.
- Degenerative Disc Disease.
- Shoulder / Rotator Cuff Injuries.
- Joint Pain / Stiffness.
- Chronic Tendonitis.
Characteristics Of Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis is characterized by joint pain, stiffness, inflammation and reduced movement of the joints.
- Osteoarthritis of the knee (Degenerative Arthritis of the Knee) :- Knee Joint osteoarthritis is the most common cause of disability in the knee joint. Osteoarthritis of the knee can be classified into different stages like mild, moderate and severe. Our Stem cell treatment plan for joint injuries may regenerate damaged cartilage.
- OA of the hand (Degenerative Arthritis of the Hand) :- Hand osteoarthritis mainly affects women. Common symptom of hand OA include finger joints get bigger, dull or burning sensation, swellings form on the finger joints.
- OA of the hip (Degenerative Arthritis of the Hip) :- Osteoarthritis of the hip is a chronic disease. It occurs due to aging and other factors, the cartilage starts to break down. Because of degenerative hip joint disease it is very hard to do daily routine works like rising from a chair or walking a long distance.
Common Exercises For Osteoarthritis
OA being a degenerative disease and with pain making day to day activities more difficult, It is crucial to find a way to cope with the pain and the discomfort. There are several exercises for osteoarthritis of the knee.
How To Treat OR Recover From Osteoarthritis?
Although surgical and pharmaceutical interventions are currently available for treating OA, restoration of normal cartilage function has been difficult to achieve.
The fundamental question that comes to mind:
Is knee replacement the only option?
With science evolving, versatile options are being made available to treat such conditions. Unistem have treated number of severe osteoarthritis cases in india through alternative medical treatments. These include usage of Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) derived from one’s own blood, Mesenchymal stem cells etc., For more details click here.
Patients Treated with Stem Cell Thrapy for Osteoarthritis
Procedure For Treating Osteoarthritis Using PRP and MSCs:
The procedure of using PRP and MSC’s is simple. It hardly takes a few minutes to complete and the patient can return home the very same day.
Post Procedure Using PRP And MSCs:
The benefits that have been observed are reduction in pain, reduced progression of the condition, and an overall improvement in the quality of life.
**Use of Stem cells is in evolution phase and categorized non-conventional**